This apartment in Lisboa whose construction dates back to the 1940’s, was characterized by a ground floor, garden and basement, which needed a simple intervention in terms of architecture, improving access to the basement, access to the garden and the general spatial organization with small interventions and demolitions.
This rehabilitation tried to follow a conservative intervention line, where the maintenance and recovery of the characteristic elements of apartments of this period prevailed, especially the stonework and carpentry.
With this principle in mind, and after adapting the layout of the house to the needs of the Owners, great care was taken in the attention to the finishes, always seeking to combine the modern materials with the legacy left by the existing ones in the best way.
It is a work that combines a constant effort in the relationship between the existing and the contemporary. Always exploring a symbiosis between materials, which doesn’t harm what always existed and tries to highlight the best that was done in Portuguese architecture in the 1940’s.